08 September 2010

Mini-Heart Globe

With a clear idea of what I wanted to put on the mini-heart for the SFGH foundation mosaic auction piece, my next challenge was to transfer a world map onto a non-spherical surface. How in the world do you do that? Gridlines! If you look at a world globe, you will notice that it has gridlines representing the major longitude and latitude lines, 36 around the equator and 36 around the poles. My first step was to the draw the equator, and decide which longitude line would go around the center of the heart. Then I drew in the 35 other latitude and longitude lines. This resulted in a very skewed grid with skinny sections at the bottom, and fat sections towards the top. Using the gridlines of my world globe for reference, I was able to transfer the landmass outlines onto my heart. The heart substrate now has a very accurate depiction of the world globe. I filled in all the water areas with blue color pencil for easier reference when I lay down the glass. Since this is a rather small form, some of the glass pieces will be very tiny, which is an advantage of using glass instead of ceramic tile. No images of the heart can be displayed until the SFGH foundation has started their publicity campaign.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing it, Wes. A heart globe is an inspiring image - archetypal, I think. Reminds me of what Joseph Campbell once said about how we need a global unifying myth. He suggested the image of our planet. Thanks for laying our your process or transferring the globe on to a heart. Gridlines!

    ReplyDelete